What does it take to be one of the best places to work and get the attention of top talent? This is a common question that many employers ask when they want to be the workplace that attracts, retains, motivates, and engages top performers.
To follow are some standard practices spanning the full cycle of employment, from recruiting for a position to planning for your company’s future talent needs.
Staffing & Workforce Planning
- Align your workplace with the needs, interests, and preferences of top performers.
- Recruit talent by selecting an effective staffing solutions partner who uses strategies aligned with definitive policies for hiring only top performers and defining what characteristics, competencies, and behaviors those top performers exhibit.
- Select top performers using a variety of effective selection processes and tactics, including trained hiring personnel and a combination of valid selection tools, measuring the success of selection decisions, and amending procedures as needed.
- Develop an effective onboarding program and engage new-hires.
- Plan for the future workforce by engaging in succession and workforce planning practices.
Compensation & Rewards
- Compensate top performers competitively according to market rates and review compensation structures to maintain competitive compensation.
- Pay for performance by offering opportunities to earn more income based on their track record.
Recognize and reward employees in a meaningful way and show appreciation using formal and informal programs to recognize top performers.
- Provide a competitive array of health, welfare, work-life, and retirement benefits that support employee well being, work/life balance, and wellness.
Development & Training
- Provide training opportunities and ensure that these solutions meet employees’ needs and contribute to improved job performance.
- Develop and advance careers by providing developmental services and programs that help employees attain their career objectives.
- Build challenging, meaningful, autonomous, and empowering job experiences for employees by using their skills and abilities to their fullest potential.
- Be socially responsible by providing ways for employees to engage in community efforts and initiating environmentally-friendly workplace practices.
- Effectively supervise and manage by providing supervisors with the right tools to manage their employees and their performance. Incorporate and hold to general philosophies/policies surrounding managing others in the organization.
Foster coworker relations and teamwork by building a positive and collaborative work atmosphere, providing team building and peer recognition opportunities while embracing a diverse workforce.
- Lead with talent integrity by engaging employees through communication, support for programs, positive interaction, and accountability.
- Celebrate success as an organization and recognize employees’ life events.
Organizational Innovation, Success, & Performance
- Facilitate creativity and innovation by providing opportunities for ideas, suggestions, and feedback; developing informal and formal ways to promote creativity and innovation; and initiating processes/initiatives for employees to enhance products or customer experiences.
Measure and communicating organizational performance as well as customer, client, or product achievements.